Renters Insurance Customer Service Options
Self policy service any time of the day, directly from our website. To request a policy change on your account, click any of the following policy service options below.
Renters Insurance Information
Tango, Tango & Tango is here to answer your insurance questions, and find the best insurance policy for your rental needs
Our Commack-based office proudly serves all of Long Island, New York
New York Renters Insurance
With renters insurance, you will be able to replace what is damaged or stolen. This may include:
- sports equipment
Renters insurance normally covers your possessions against losses from:
- fire or smoke
- windstorm or hail
- falling objects
- weight of snow, ice or sleet
- water damage from plumbing failure, appliance failure, fire sprinklers or other accidental discharges of water
- electrical surges
However, renters insurance does not cover floods, earthquakes or routine wear and tear. You can, however, buy separate policies for flood and earthquake damage.
Renters insurance may also cover:
- injuries other people sustain whilst at your home (medical expenses, resulting lawsuits)
- damage you may cause to other people’s property
- living expense if your rental is damaged and you’re required to vacate during repairs
IMPORTANT TO KNOW: renters insurance extends beyond your rental unit. Many times it protects your belongings when you’re away from home. As an example, if you ride your bike to work and it’s stolen from the bike rack, it’s likely your renters insurance will pay to replace it.
Consider buying more protection for:
- High value items: artwork, jewelry that are valued at a price that exceeds your policy’s maximum pay out.
- Earthquake or flood: if you live in an area that is often victim to earthquakes or flooding, you’ll want to have these situations covered.
- Sewer and drain back-ups: these things happen often, and basic renters insurance doesn’t cover these events.
- Replacement value coverage: this coverage reimburses you for the full replacement cost for what’s included in your claim, instead of the depreciated cash value.
- Home business and business merchandise coverage: anyone working from home, or storing business inventory in your home, a home business rider boosts your equipment and liability coverage.
If you are forced out of your home because of a disaster your additional living expenses will be covered.
Renters insurance pays additional costs, within reason, of temporarily living away from your home if you can't live in it due to a fire, severe storm or other insured disaster.
- hotel bills
- temporary rentals
- restaurant meals
- other living expenses incurred while your home is being rebuilt
Coverage for additional living expenses differs from company to company.
Renters insurance also covers your responsibility to other people injured at your home or elsewhere by you, a family member or your pet and pays legal defense costs if you are taken to court.
Decide How Much Insurance You Need
Add up the cost of everything you would want to replace if it were damaged or stolen. This could also serve as the basis for an inventory that will make filing a claim easier.
When creating your inventory list make sure to record:
- model numbers
- dates of purchases
- places of purchase
Take photographs or make a video of these items and place a copy of the inventory list in safe place away from your home.
If you rent an apartment or house you need insurance to protect your belongings. While your landlord might have insurance, it only protects the building. Your belongings are not covered under those policies.